ALDE will be launching a Female Observership Program in 2022 which will give women an opportunity to observe the Executive Board up close. This initiative has been taken as since ALDE was formed in 1994, there has only been a single female member nominate and serve on the board. This will enable the board to have a greater field of vision in terms of engaging with our members who may not feel that they are not represented on the board.
The intent of the position/s are to:
- Contribute to the development of future female leaders; and
- Use the position as a training opportunity for females with potential to move into subcommittee roles and/ or the Exec board.
The Observership begins with the first board meeting of 2022 and finishes with the last.
- As part of the application, Observer/s agree to the Program’s confidentiality terms.
- During the Observership year, ALDE will facilitate Observer/s attending all board and any relevant subcommittee meetings as non-voting members so they can both contribute and learn about fundamental principles and functions of the board, the role of board members, the decision-making process and governance priorities.
- Board minutes will note that Observer/s are present in the capacity as Observer/s and not as Directors.
- The point of contact for the Observer/s is the Executive Officer Karen Leoncelli, any questions about serving as an Observer/s on the board, including details for board meetings, board expectations of their Observer/s,behaviourand board culture.
Benefits of the Female Observership Program
- Actively developing the next generation of leaders for the land development industry;
- Inject a fresh perspective into the ALDE boardroom;
- Involvement in strategic projects to deliver benefits to ALDE;
- Observer can contribute to areas relating to their skill set through subcommittee involvement;
- Strengthen the ALDE board renewal strategy
For further information, requirements and to apply, please refer to ALDE Female Observership Program Flyer
The Female Observer/s are appointed through an expression of interest process that includes an interview.
Observer/s will need to notify their employer of their participation in the Program to ensure their support when
attending ALDE board meetings.
This process is managed by the Executive Officer and a member of the Governance Committee. Female first year graduates are also eligible to apply for the position (subject to attendance at a previous ALDE event). They can serve a single term of one year. ALDE board meetings are typically held last Tuesday of the month (12 in total), observer/s will need to make themselves available to attend these meetings.
Applications close Friday 10th of December 2021.